For planners seeking peer-to-peer connections, mentorship and opportunities to enhance their personal and professional growth, the FPA Annual Conference will not disappoint. Among the nearly 2,000 financial planners expected this year, you can bet that many respected names and faces will be present, as well as a massive wave of upcoming leaders including students, new planners and young professionals within the FPA NexGen community.
And that’s what has me especially excited about this year’s Annual Conference. I think there’s collectively been enough talk about the “future of the profession,” and that it’s time to recognize what the next generation of planners is doing to lead our profession right now. The 2018 event will be a conference that boldly showcases how these up-and-coming professionals are transforming financial planning in ways that would make its founders proud. Infused with generosity, empathy and a true calling to make a difference, our next generation of talent does not fear the responsibility left on their shoulders – they embrace it.
While FPA Annual Conference is completely different in size, scope and cost than NexGen Gathering (our annual event designed for next generation attendees), it does provide a number of benefits that make it incredibly worthwhile for a student, new planner, career changer or young professional:
Sessions that inspire, connect, and disrupt
- NexGen Mini Talks – A peer-led session that features speakers from across the profession who offer an inside view on what is potentially transforming our profession in radical ways, disrupting every planner and/or client alike, and what we can do about it. We are accepting submissions through August 13 – for more details, click here.
- Telling Your Story –Marketing Coach Susan Kornegay of the FPA Coaches Corner pulls back the curtain on how to market yourself as a financial planner in an inspirational workshop format.
- Designing a Business Model for Working with Middle America – Financial Planners Terry Savage, Sheryl Garrett and Nathan Harness dig into the hearts and minds of our next generation planners and provide them with guidelines for building out a specific type of practice.
- The Financial Planner’s Mindset – Stephanie Bogan of the FPA Coaches Corner explores the “spark” that separates those who achieve unlimited success, wealth and happiness, and shares how to overcome the obstacles that come with everyday life.
Exposure to generational gaps and solutions
- Bridging Generations Through Conversation – Meet up with other planners on the exhibit hall floor in the NexGen Gathering space. Enjoy coffee and conversation on topical issues transforming the profession and engaging all ages in a comfortable, casual setting.
- Lessons Learned from the Past to Help Us Grow in the Future – A live podcasted Journal in the Round session featuring Financial Planners Ben Coombs, Lewis Walker, Alex Cole and Rachel Moran, unraveling the path from the inception of true financial planning to where we find ourselves now. The challenges are different today, but the goal is the same. This is definitely a can’t-miss session!
- Power Networking Reception – Enjoy food and drinks with your peers, while also engaging in deep conversation with visionaries and leaders from within the profession on topics of immediate interest to students, new planners and career changers. Topics will include how to land a great job, how to move up in your firm, building out a practice, how to inspire change, etc.
- What Does It Mean to be a CFP®? – Join Hannah Moore, CFP® and other well-known voices in the profession to understand what being a CFP® is all about. Walk away with ideas and a wealth of information you need to be a successful financial planner.
- New Planner Breakfast – Don’t miss the chance to meet your fellow young professionals over coffee and breakfast before the first General Session. Hear from leaders in your community and learn how to maximize the conference for your personal gain, and how else you can give back to the profession outside of the conference.
- NexGen Town Hall – The FPA NexGen Community invites all attendees to join them in a quick session on Thursday morning where they will announce their vision and goals for 2019, the 2019 President-Elect as well as the location of the 2019 NexGen Gathering!
- Podcasts and Swag – Hit the New Planner Breakfast or the NexGen space within the exhibit hall to learn more about what FPA and our partners are doing for the profession – and how you can join us right now. You might even be lucky enough to snag a limited-edition T-Shirt (I’ve seen them – they’re cool)!
- Career Coaching – Build out your resume and manage your career with guidance from our profession’s leading career coach, Caleb Brown.
- In-person Interviews – several firms will be offering one-on-one interviewing opportunities while in Chicago. Early sign-up is not necessary, and times/locations will be made available once on-site.
With so many opportunities designed specifically for next generation planners, I think the time and money you would spend attending #FPAConf18 would be well worth your while. Don’t forget that we offer a special discount for FPA NexGen attendees (call or email the Member Engagement Team at 800-322-4237 – [email protected]), and have also added a new page to the FPAAnnual.org website this year to help you Justify Your Attendance to your supervisor or boss.
I’m looking forward to seeing you in Chicago!
Jess Flynn serves as FPA’s Next Generation Project Lead, supporting student, new planner and NexGen Community growth and activities across the organization. During her seven years within FPA, she has inspired financial support and engagement from the profession’s leading financial services firms through her work with FPA Corporate Relations. She recently accepted the role of FPA’s Director of Strategic Partnerships, where she oversees all partnership activities for the organization while simultaneously driving FPA’s Next Generation vision.